- Hedgehog mammals grow to 6” to 15”. The average adult hedgehog has about 5,000 spines, modified hair that are 2-3 cm. (1”) long. Hedgehogs have poor eyesight, acute hearing, short legs, a long pointed snout, and 36-44 teeth. Their color ranges from white to dark brown. There are fourteen species in four genera found in Europe, Africa, and Asia. Hedgehogs were also introduced in New Zealand. Their habitat is wooded or cultivated land, including gardens, where they enjoy a close relationship with man, tropical rain forests, steppe, and desert. Desert and long-eared species have powerful legs and strong claws for digging burrows in dry areas. Other hedgehog differences are size, color, and the length of ears and toes. All species, with the exception of the Four-Toed, have five toes on each foot.
- These mammals are nocturnal, sleeping during the day and eating at night. Desert and temperate hedgehogs can have dormant periods of hibernation when their body temperature drops to near the same temperature as their surroundings. They sometimes hibernate when there is no food. Northern African hedgehogs hibernate from October to late April. Tropical hedgehogs do not hibernate in their normal environment, but will if there is a lack of food. Occasionally a hedgehog will produce foamy saliva when stimulated by strong smells or tastes and smear it all over their body. This act, called self-anointing, is little understood. Some species can swim and climb, but mostly they stay on the ground.
- Hedgehogs provide a valuable insect pest control service. They are insectivores, eating earthworms, beetles, earwigs, slugs, millipedes, and caterpillars. Some species will eat bird’s eggs, mice, frogs, and other small rodents. They also have been known to eat seeds, berries, grasses and leaves, and fallen fruit. Stories in Russia and China tell of hedgehogs impaling fruit on their spines.
- If threatened, the hedgehog freezes and rolls into a ball with its spines sticking out for defense. When erected, the spines stick out at different angles to create an impassable barrier. Strong muscles curl the skin tightly over their body. European species appear to be immune to toxins, since they are able to eat bees and wasps. They can eat some venomous snakes, but cannot withstand a direct bite from them. They are vulnerable in India and China due to loss of habitat.
- Different hedgehog species breed at different times of the year, but most mate in the spring, and produce 4-6 offspring. Also the gestation period varies between 30-45 days. The young are born naked with ears and eyes closed. Spines are present at birth, but lie just under the skin and sprout in 36 hours. Their eyes open after fourteen days, their teeth at 21 days, and weaning occurs at 6-7 weeks. The hedgehog is a known carrier of fleas. Adults are solitary. They make snuffling noises when courting. They communicate and find food best through their well-developed sense of smell. Hedgehogs in the wild live from 3 to eight years; in captivity they may live up to 10 years.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Literally, Islam has sort of definitions, the verb is ‘salama’ that contributes into three definitions which are pure/clean, peace/harmony and loyal/surrender. Terminologically, Islam means loyal, bow, sincere in fulfilling His tasks and sincere to Him by having good faith. Beside that, Islam is a revealed religion which wanted it followers to be pious to Him, his Angels, books, massengers, hereafter and lastly is the faith.
The word Islam means submission to the God’s commandments. It is totally about acceptance and implementation of His commands. Islam deals with deeds (amal). The submission of God’s commandments will bring the inner peace to individual and then the society as well. X t . hat, Islam is a revealed religion which wanted it followers to be pious to Him, his Angels, books, massengers, hereafter and lastly is the faith. In Islam, Allah is the foremost other than anything. He should be in the first place of the heart of each Muslims because Allah the one who create human as well. Apart from that, the God (Allah) has 99 names.
In Islam, Allah is the foremost other than anything. He should be in the first place of the heart of each Muslims because Allah the one who create human as well. Apart from that, the God (Allah) has 99 names.
from : Azieyati Abd Malik
from : Azieyati Abd Malik
Monday, April 19, 2010
Thursday, April 1, 2010
During the beginning period of the space program, NASA was seeking for a pen that can be used in the space:
-It must be applicable in any directions.
-It can function in vacuum space.
-The ink does not really need to be refilled.
NASA was taking this matter seriously and they thought many scientists would start studying to invent this kind of pen.
After three days, they received a fax from Germany, written: "try pencil before?"
Don't make simple things complicated. Sometimes when we are facing a problem, try to calm ourselves down and think : "Is this problem really that complicated?"
Saturday, March 27, 2010
I seriously love the idea of this green lamp that blends natural textures with recycled materials to bring a bit of nature indoors.
Friday, March 26, 2010
What is law?
There is no comprehensive definition of law.However,law may be defined as a body of rules which are given by the state(government).It is a command by the state to the individuals or groups or corporations and is enforceable by sanctions.
Some people define law as a set of rules, developed over a long period of time to regulate people’s interaction with each other, and which sets standards of conducts between individuals and other individuals, and individuals and the government.
Are rules always law?
Even if law is a set of rules, it does not necessarily follow that all rules are law.There are rules that govern human behaviour but are not law.Examples of such rules are family rules,sports rules and school rules.
Why do we need law?
There is a need for law so that:-
→Peace and order in the society can be mainted.
→Anarchy can be avoided.
→People can settle their dispute in ammicable manner.
→Social justice is promoted.
FROM : AZIEYATI ABD MALIK